The Harrow is said to be the oldest pub in Middlesex. Its thought to have been built around the 16th century, but many believe it to be much older.
A specialist architect name Bill Adams once conducted an investigation on the building and concluded that it was actually built around 1130.
The Discovery of a cache of silver coins found hidden beneath a door frame, all of which were dated before 1130, seem to back up his idea.
There is also debate over the Harrow's origin. Popular stories describe the Harrow as once being a gatehouse for Windsor Great Park,
a hunting lodge for The Royal Forrest, and a retreat for the clergy of Saint Peter.
Its Likely however, that the building was originally a fairly low status farm house or cottage.
Is is described as an "A" frame building constructed with specially cut English oak beams - the original hand carved mortise joints can still be seen.
The spaces between the timbers are filled with wattle and daub (willow sticks and mud).
Although the Harrow is certainly the oldest building to be used as a pub in the area, it was not until the mid-nineteenth century that the first drink was poured.
A beer retailer named William Lock became the first recorded licensee back in 1852.
Lock was also a market gardener, and this strong connection with horticulture may well have been how the Harrow got its name.
During this time the Harrow had no piped water, no drainage and no electricity. Water was supplied from a pump outside the front door,
which is still in place today.
The right hand side of the building (currently the restaurant) was a separate cottage. At this point there were also no female lavatories, ladies simply stayed away.
In 1951 the Harrow was given a wines and spirits license making it a fully fledged public house.
It was around this time that the current license holders, Dudley and Snooks Mason, built female lavatories and moved the gents outside (where they still are today)
The pub was extended after 1992.
The right hand side of the building (formally the cottage) was replaced by two new kitchens and a dining room capable of serving to hungry guests.